to all my foodies out there...i need your help!



so i have decided--after countless documentaries, discussions and consultations with the husband, hours of perusing pinterest, numerous articles and literature, months of ruminating, a few half-hearted (even more like quarter-hearted or one eighth-hearted) attempts, and inspiration from friends (Tia, Elham, Mojdeh, Christina---you all didn't know that you were inspiring me, did you?)--to make a change in my diet.  for the next few weeks i will be cutting down (not all, i can't cut out all---at least not yet) meats and other animal proteins as well as highly processed foods.  i'll also be working on decreasing the amount of refined sugar i put into my mouth.  i've decided to give it a go for a few weeks to see if i notice a change in energy level, migraine frequency, stuffy-headedness and general well  being.  i won't be cutting out all meat/cheese/yogurt at this point and i just can't cut out my delicious baked goods.  at least not right now.  i want to be reasonable about my food choices--not strict and withholding because i feel that's a recipe for failure.  and if i feel like eating a chocolate cupcake with salted caramel frosting once in awhile, then i will.  my goal is to eat healthier---more whole grains, fruits and veggies.  it's not that i eat terribly now and i rarely eat fast food (i can't remember the last time i had mcdonald's), but i feel that there is significant room for improvement especially as far as eating more fruits and veggies go.  and i'm really bad at eating healthy snack foods.  generally, i will just pick something up from one of the cafes at school which means eating something processed and full of sugar.  additionally, i am not a brave eater.  i'm sure that there are many flavors that i am missing out on.  for example---until very recently i hated and refused to eat zucchini and asparagus.  mainly this is because of the way it's been prepared.  but when hubby grilled them both for me and seasoned them simply, i became a fan.  i now can eat them in many different ways (besides being grilled) and am amazed at how yummy they are.  why am i announcing this on the internets?  because i want to be accountable to something other than myself (and my hubs), because i would like help from my friends, because it might be a fun way to keep track of it.  so your job, if you accept, is to shoot me any recipes, websites, ideas, etc, of how i can eat more healthy.  particularly foods that are whole grain, nutrient and vitamin dense, meatless.  i've been scouring pinterest so far, but i need more.  welcome to my quest to eat and be healthy!

that being said---today is my day one.  so far, for breakfast i ate a banana and some strawberries with 3 slices of rosemary bread, toasted with butter.  lunch included a big spring mix salad with 1/2 of an avocado and a little bit of goddess dressing and an apple with real peanut butter.  snacked on some homemade, real popcorn with a bit of salt.  please send me ideas for breakfast and lunch if you know of any!!!

:)

Comments

  1. One of my favorite easy, wholesome meals are homemade yummy bowls. I usually start with a good helping of quinoa, then blackbeans, chopped tomato, chopped avacado, spoonfuls of baked yam, some cilantro, and then something like goddess dressing (homemade lemon-tahini dressing is the next best thing for a glutard). SOOOOOOO GOOD.

    My other favorite meal is also a bowl of goodies: brown rice, with a layer of black beans and then a layer of cheese. (I'm definitely not vegan, though dairy for me right now only comes in the form of cheese sometimes and butter on homemade popcorn :-)). I put that in the microwave for about two minutes, then add a dallop of Pico de Gallo and slices of avacado. Also, soooo good.

    A few to add to the pile. Way to go on your goals, Lindsay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds great! i will definitely try these! thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts