Adventures in starting solids

first time tasting banana

So baby Z has been eating food lately.  We started on the solids.  I had done a fair amount of research on the topic, asking friends and family about their experiences, reading up on what the "experts" say, perusing through momma bloggers and their advice, and I talked to our doctor.  The information out there is quite overwhelming, and conflicting.  It's hard to know what to believe, and what is the right way.  I had read about baby led weaning, starting babies on purees, giving babies meat first to ensure he is getting the necessary iron, starting with cereals.  I read a recent article about arsenic levels found in rice cereal and the AAP's recommendation.  Hubby and I consulted.  We finally decided that what we are comfortable with and works for our family was to start baby Z on fruit and veg purees first, then cereals, the later meats.  To us it just seemed like the way to go.  I wasn't too keen on starting him on meat right away, and wasn't completely comfortable with starting baby led weaning, and after the article about rice cereal and some opinions that wheat cereals are hard for them to digest, we decided to got with fruit and veg.  We figured we can't go wrong with that.  So we started off giving him little tastes of banana.  Actually, the first time, I gave him the entire banana (baby led weaning style) and he went to town on it, but after he was able to break a little piece off I was afraid he would choke so then decided I would mush it up for him.  He looooooved it!  Later, we tried a taste of yam and he really liked that as well.  We also gave him a taste of pears, and it wasn't the same reaction as banana or yam but he liked it ok.  Then we went to California and while there we fed him about twice a day, little small meals of mushed banana, he had yam on Thanksgiving, and we puréed him up some butternut squash which he really liked as well.  Then his bowels started having issues, his poo started to get really dry and hard and he was having a difficult time passing it.  so with the suggestion of my sister in law and mother in law I gave him some pureed prunes.  He at those for two days, and I  nursed as usual and then on the third day he was able to poo like normal again.  So my plan now is to introduce new foods every three days or so but continue to give him a serving of prunes, and of course nursing him as usual.  Baby Z was about 4 1/2 months when we started giving him tastes of food.  He seemed extremely interested in what we were eating, and would even mimic us chewing.  He started grabbing for our plates and cups.  I wanted to make sure that he was actually interested in the food and not just being a Mr. Grabby, because he is in that stage now of grabbing at anything around him.  So that's when I gave him little tastes of food and then of course when I mushed up the banana he went crazy for it.  He is a very enthusiastic and impatient eater and so far he has tried prune, banana, pear, yam, butternut squash, apple and avocado.  Except for the avocado he has liked everything that he has tried so far.   And even then he still ate the avocado, he just gagged a little.  And when he is being fed, he lunges towards the spoon, he will try to grab it and even will try to grab my hand and bring it to his mouth.  It's so funny.  He will also make an "eh" noise which I think is his way of letting me know he is ready for the next bite and he sometimes will fuss if he isn't getting the bites fast enough.  And sometimes he cries when his bowl is empty. So yea, he really likes food, I had a feeling he would.  I'm glad that I didn't wait until 6 months, which was my plan initially.  He was definitely ready and has so far really enjoyed everything that we have given him.  My plan is to introduce some veggies and then cereals and then meats.  Oh and the stuff that I feed him is homemade, except for the prunes.  I have just been steaming everything and then I purée it in the blender.  It is super easy.  So that is our first step into starting solids.  What about y'all?  Any stories? What did you do?  Do share!
first time trying yam
not quite enjoying it
maybe it's not so bad
hmmm it's kinda yummy
eating prune

Comments

Popular Posts