new baby, new house (part 2)

ok, so we left off part 1 with me being fully dilated, effaced, and ready to push for real.  i pushed in several different positions on the bed for about 2 hours.  i had imagined that when it was time to push that i would be squatting or using some form of gravity to help out, but i was so tired that i couldn't even fathom standing up or squatting.  so, exactly the opposite of how i imagined, i pushed while lying down; on my side, on my back, legs up, all that.  after a couple of hours pushing like this my midwife suggested using the bar with a sheet wrapped around it.  basically there was a bar that was attached horizontally above the bed with a sheet wrapped twice around it so that there were two"ropes" of sheet with knots in the end of them for me to hang onto and use to pull myself up during the contractions.  also, my feet were pushing against the bar.  between those two actions i had some leverage with which to push strongly.  hubby was holding onto one leg, my mother in law was holding the other and my momma was wiping my face with a cold washcloth.  this went on for almost another 2 hours, pushing pushing pushing and trying to get my baby out.  i remember at some point just begging God to let this be done, to give me the strength to continue and push this baby out.  i also remember saying, "oh come on!" after one of the contractions.  i felt like i had been at it for so long and i was getting tired.  the midwife suggested that they place a mirror so that i could see what was happening down there and at first i declined but then acquiesced when they assured me it would be helpful.  and it was.  now i knew what they were talking about when they were directing me, because when you push, the baby's head comes down but when the contraction is over, baby goes back up a little bit so you have to use a few pushes to get him back down and then a few more pushes to get him farther down and make some progress.  so it was helpful to have that visual benchmark.  and seeing his head come down a little further each time was motivating.  finally, finally, his head was crowning and i was pushing with everything i had, pushing through the pain and discomfort.  the only thing in my head was "push", the nurse, midwife, mommas and hubby were all cheering me on.  it was amazing.  and finally, his head emerged.  and then i pushed again and his shoulders came out.  and they told me to reach down and grab my baby (which i couldn't do because i think i was still pushing and was still holding onto the sheet ends!).  they put baby z on my chest and i was done!  he was here!  i did it!  i pushed this baby out without any kind of medical or mechanical interventions, i couldn't believe it!  and we had our son, hubby and i.  and the grandmommas got to be there to witness the birth of their first grandson.  it was perfect.  i just held him on my chest for awhile, gazing.  after some time went by the nurse helped us breastfeed and the boy gulped down the colostrum like a champ (it did take some time to get him latched on though, it wasn't easy).  the midwife attended to all the after stuff like birthing the placenta and stitches, etc and after that was all taken care of the rest of the family came in to see the baby, and my brother and sister-in-law brought me ezell's chicken because i was starving and they are the best!  so, that's pretty much it.  my in-laws had flown in that morning and they made it just in time so that my MIL could be there while i pushed.  we were moved to a different room and stayed in the hospital for two nights until we got the hang of nursing and i felt well enough to go home.  it was really an amazing experience and i just can't get over how my body performed, how it can accomplish something so big.  my birth story was pretty close to what i hoped that it would be, but even if it wasn't exactly how i envisioned--it was perfect, it was mine, me and baby and hubby, we all worked together, and we are a family now.
mama and baby
2 days old
 
taking grumpy man home

i think later on i'll write about the first week and what has transpired, from the physical, spiritual and emotional aspects.  but for now, i want to share that hubby and i are now.......HOMEOWNERS!  wooohoooo!  but also, *gulp*! 
our other new baby
i'll write another post all about that as well! gotta go feed this boy.

Comments

Popular Posts