reflections on birth

so, i had previously posted my birth story and now i'll just write a few things now looking back.  i had wanted to have a natural as possible labor and delivery and wanted to avoid using any kind of medical interventions.  but i was nervous and kinda scared about how this would all go down.  i knew that it would be painful and that i'd be asking my body to do something incredible, but i had decided this a long time ago and prepared myself by reading as many natural birthing stories, books and watching documentaries about natural childbirth.  this is just how i am, the more prepared the better.  i talked to hubby about my fears, and he reassured me.  i talked to my best friend chantelle about being nervous and she told me i could do it and that everything would be fine.  and bottom line, hubby reminded me, was that no matter what we need to do whatever is best for me and the baby, in order to have a healthy baby.  so, i prepared.  i read.  i downloaded music playlists.  i practiced breathing and visualization.  i envisioned in my head going through labor and birthing the baby without medications.  i memorized prayers.  two amazing people, at my request, sent me a song and a chant of healing prayers.  i listened to them daily.  i watched the business of being born again, and more business of being born.  i took child birthing classes.  i stated out loud to people my desire to have an unmedicated labor and birth so that i could feel accountable.  but, nothing really prepares you for childbirth and when labor started, i just did what my body naturally wanted to do.  i breathed, i bounced, i hummed, i grunted, i knelt on the ground and over beds, i asked God for strength.  i used pretty much none of the things that i had prepared for myself like the snacks and music and other distractions.  once i was in active labor and it was more intense, i just went inside myself.  i was in my own world, in the zone, focusing on nothing really but breathing and then later pushing.  i have to say that my midwife and nurse were so wonderful!  i delivered at group health on capital hill in the family beginnings birthing unit and had a great experience.  even afterwards when i was transferred out of the labor & delivery room into an overnight room, all of the nurses were great and i saw 3 different lactation consultants, all of them were there to make me comfortable, to teach me how to take care of my baby and to feed my baby.  getting nursing going was a priority for them, as well as for me, and i'm grateful that they were all so helpful.  i also am so glad that my hubby was so encouraging and amazing, he did such a wonderful job.  i had wanted a doula originally, but honestly, between my nurse, midwife, and hubby (and the grandmommas), i really didn't feel like i missed out by not having a doula there. so, i'd say i had a pretty good experience overall.  and out of all of the stuff that we packed for the hospital, the only thing i really used was my phone.  i didn't even use my own pj's that i brought, i just used the hospital gowns, in fact, the hospital provided everything else that i needed for myself and for baby while we were there.  anyway, these are my post-birth-looking-back-on-the-experience ramblings.  next up, the first week!

Comments

Popular Posts