Bathroom project day 8

so when we last left off we were installing the cement board.  we finished that on Saturday morning and taped and mud the seams on Saturday night then on Sunday afternoon I set the tile on the floor to decide how to pattern it, starting with laying the first tile in the center of the floor.  when I was finished I decided that I needed to scoot everything over a little bit in order to avoid having to trim so much of the tile.  then after baby went to bed i mixed up some thinset mortar and started to actually lay the tile.  the first row was the most difficult because everything needed to be perfectly level and straight so that all subsequently installed tiles were straight.  the first row took a little while because after I lay one tile, it would scooch the one next to it a little bit and one would end up not perfectly level or the correct distance from the wall, etc.  so I finally got the first row good enough (hubs, who is a perfectionist by the way told me it was fine and I was being overly picky hahaha) and started on the next row and it went much faster after that.  Monday my momma came over and watched baby z for a bit so that I could work on it some more.  now I just have to lay the pieces that need to be trimmed, which will take a little more time i imagine, given the measuring and cutting with the tile saw.  here is a picture of the dry run, obviously I couldn't lay the tile in the spaces that the long tile couldn't fit because I haven't trimmed anything yet but it was just for a better idea of how it would look:

hopefully by the end of this coming weekend we can finish laying the tile and maybe even applying grout, we'll see.  I'm going to wait until I am done laying the tile to show you that progress.

oh and I am still trying to find an affordable lighting fixture that I like.  the ones I like cost more than I want to spend:
this one is $280
this one (one!) is $398!

this one is getting better at $99 but still over what I'd like to shell out (I'm frugal):
But I really like that one.

so, we'll see. I saw that on my favorite blog young house love they used this outdoor light and it looked so cute so maybe I will copy them:

here is what it looks like in their bathroom:

and it is only $29. suh-weet!

and everything else seems so plain and boring.  anyway, that is about it for now.  any recommendations on lighting sources?

Comments

Popular Posts